Monday, November 13, 2006

Effective Use of Positive Reinforcement

WHEN:
Nov. 8, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History

WHAT:
While I was teaching my first lesson, I asked for a volunteer to read The Gettysburg Address. After I did so my cooperating teacher immediately mentioned that she would give Cat Cash to whoever volunteered. Cat Cash is a reward token for special behaviors, more along the lines of good deeds that help the students earn special privileges. Immediately I had two or three more volunteers than what I originally started with.

SO WHAT:
This showed that positive reinforcement can be a good thing to help motivate students to participate, not only in classroom discussion but also to encourage them to be good citizens.

NOW WHAT:
If it was up to me I would not have used Cat Cash to persuade volunteers, although I am sure that my teacher did that to try to promote class discussion, since the students are not quite use to me teaching them. However, I did realize that it helps to have sensible and effective rewards in the classroom as well as the school overall.

CONNECTIONS:
Sometimes little things will motivate students and keep them engaged in the lesson. However, I now wonder if the students will expect their teacher to offer them Cat Cash every time I ask for a volunteer to read out loud?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home