Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Hey, do you know about the U.S.A.?

WHEN:
Sept. 18, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History
Sept. 20, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History

WHAT:
During a review session Ms. Jones used a video from the School House Rock series on the Constitution. The video segment plays a catchy tune that helped the students remember the Preamble of the Constitution. Ms. Jones played this on Sept. 18 and again on Sept. 20 before testing the students on the Preamble. Her test was set up like a CLOZE assessment.

SO WHAT:
I really liked the use of the School House Rock video because I remember watching those when I was in school. I could relate to the tapes and I was amazed at how well the students like watching and singing along. Ms. Jones knew the song by heart, of course and by the end of the week I did too.

NOW WHAT:
This experience has allowed me to broaden my open mindedness. Since seeing the presentation of the film and seeing how well the students responded on the test first hand I have been trying to think of other films that I and my students could both relate to. With the Preamble song being so catchy it is hard to forget it once you learn it.

CONNECTIONS:
I not only found the video to be very cool but also the way in which the teacher assessed the students. The CLOZE model was something that we had just discussed in READ 498 and I was very excited to see Ms. Jones actually use that assessment style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home