Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sleeping in Class

WHEN:
Oct. 9, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History
Oct. 11, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History

WHAT:
During a notes lecture, the teacher asked one of the students to sit up as she appeared to be sleeping in class. The student immediately talked back to the teacher about how she was not bothering anyone and how she was tired and did not feel like doing the work. The teacher asked the student to sit up a couple of more times throughout the lesson. After passing out a worksheet to the class, the teacher went to her desk and wrote the student up. Ms. Jones made the comment to me, under her breath so that others could not hear what she was saying, that there was no use in arguing with this particular student because it would distract the other students from learning and that it would just aggravate the student and drive her to more hostile responses. I had the privilege of taking the write-up slip to the office. When I returned, a few minutes later, Ms. Jones asked the student to step outside. The other students remained on task and did their work. Later, after class was over, the teacher explained that the student is pregnant, had to work the night before until after midnight, and does not have a stable home life.

SO WHAT:
I decided to comment on this incident because I had the opportunity to get to know the student a few days before while the class was in the library doing research. I was amazed at the information about the home life she willingly told me. I was not surprised by her attitude or actions of sleeping in class on Wednesday. Since Ms. Jones is highly aware of her home life and current situation I believe she handled the student’s behavior in class in the most professional way that she could. I could easily see where if the teacher had handled the situation where she stopped class and demanded for the student to sit up and actively participate, she would have lost valuable instruction time for the other students in the class. Also, the student’s actions were not harmful to other classmates so it was valid that Ms. Jones wait to write the student up during a transitional period from lecture to in class work during class time.

NOW WHAT:
After seeing the way Ms. Jones handled the student and was familiar with the student’s behavior, I have been reminded that I need to be aware and constantly thinking about how my students will likely answer me when they are called out in class. I will also have to referee between actions that are worth taking time away from my other students’ instruction time compared to those times when I can wait to address the student’s behavior during a break in class time. Although there are always certain times when immediate action is required, when other students’ health and safety may be at risk, such as an incident where a student may act outwardly in a violent manner. During times such as that, there is no question as to whether or not instruction needs to be stopped or not.

CONNECTIONS:
This case, as well as many other similar occurrences with other students, has reminded me that not all students will be in focus of their school work, even if they are at school that day. There are many things in home life, personal emotions, etc. that will affect them from bringing their full potential and willingness to participate in classroom instruction at school. I am reminded everyday, especially during my observation times, that a career in teaching is much more than knowing content in a subject matter. Oh my!...at the responsibilities and demands that a teacher is asked of…not to mention being held accountable for high stakes testing…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home