Sunday, October 08, 2006

ELL Accommodations

WHEN:
Oct. 2, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History
Oct. 4, 2006 from 8:00-11:00 – US History

WHAT:
On Wednesday, my teacher and I went to the office for errands during the planning period. We were shocked to an incomplete test returned by the ELL resource teacher from one of the Spanish speaking students in the class. Ms. Jones was greatly disturbed because this was the fourth test of the semester and such incidents had occurred with previous tests, with them being returned to her without the student completing the assignment. Upon our return to the classroom, Ms. Jones had received an email from the ELL resource teacher. The teacher had attached a document that described the state laws for special accommodations for Spanish speaking students and the needs that should be met in the classroom. Ms. Jones was highly upset, seeming how the second nine weeks was almost beginning and this email was the first notice of what she needed to be providing for her ESL students.

SO WHAT:
I was also shocked that Ms. Jones was just receiving this information during the middle of the semester. I had been curious to see the accommodations she did make for her Spanish speaking students but since I knew they went to a resource teacher I figured that their needs were being met, when I was not able to notice, such as the times they were in resource lab and possibly days when I was not observing in my teacher’s classroom.

I think this incident shows that communication is highly important when dealing with special needs students, especially between the teacher and the ELL resource teacher as well as the student. Even if a teacher is unable to speak Spanish he or she should still be aware of the struggles and ways that accommodations can be made for his or her student.

I took for granted that Ms. Jones and the ELL resource teacher would have talked about ways to help her Spanish speaking students before school started or at the latest, during the first week of classes. I was very surprised to find out otherwise.

NOW WHAT:
I have learned that I always need to be in contact with other teachers and school administrators that are involved with my students, especially those with special needs. I plan on being very attentive to those who need extra help in and out of the classroom. Although, teachers can see where special accommodations for students can create more work in teacher preparation time, it is worth taking the time and hoping that it will help students understand materials than not take the time and have them second guessing their capabilities.

CONNECTIONS:
I am eager to see how Ms. Jones will accommodate her Spanish speaking students now that she has been made aware of state laws and her need to create more effective work for her English learning students.

This is one of the many examples of the challenges teachers face with diverse students, especially Spanish speaking ones, a topic that we covered in class discussions and in the text for READ 498.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home